Monday 21 February 2011

Ah Korea

So, when we arrived in Korea I was brimming with enthusiasm and determined to document every aspect of my fun year in my blog, a true document of the day:

 Guttingly, events beyong my control, ie living here: 
made me an unhappy Katherine, and let's face it, i'm not exactly upbeat to begin with!! So, as my situation got worse, I got more depressed and since November have not felt happy enough to contribute to my blog (plus I got annoyed at Greg not doing it!!)... However, things are now looking up! I've moved in with Greg in the buzzing metropole of Buan - joke, but at least it has a Lotteria, and am starting teaching 9 miles from Buan in a town called Sintaein next week. Hopefully this six months WILL be an improvement on the last and we will have lots of fun adventures. Either way I am intending on writing at least one post a week as I want this blog to be a lasting reminder of my time in Korea - although some things I will want to forget we have a lot of fun too and I want to always look back at it when I'm old and grey (and probably the internet will not exist then).

So, the new blog will begin in earnest, but first I will outline the last 3 months briefly!!

In November, we had a fun time at the Hanok village in Jeonju, where I hijacked Greg and the Buan Office of Education's bonding trip to this traditional Korean village. We made lots of 'delicious Korean food'




Bibimbap! (raw egg and raw meat, mmmm)


KIMCHI!! arrrgggghhhh!!!!

yeah, it was gross, remember we don't like Korean food. Sadly, our happiest memories here have involved scrambling around random areas and finding gold dust like mcdonalds and outback, and filling our trolleys at the international food markets. The Austrian Deli in Itaewon is my favourite so far - real ham and turkey like at home that I can make crusty ham sandwiches with, plus of course my favourite salt and vinegar crisps and SALAD CREAM!!!
Anyway, I'm completely going off kilter, we also did traditional Korean crafts, music and dressed up sexily in Korean traditional hanbok!!

                              Greg in Hanbok with non-traditional scarf (this apparently is in a teacher's magazine)]
Me!

We also did a tour of Jeonju, and Greg held a cat! Cute!


                                     
                                                                        CUTE!!!

Anyway, I can't remember much else that happened these last few months, but that is exactly why I need to write the blog!!! We did go on an amazing holiday in January/Februrary to Hong Kong and to Tokyo Disney and Tokyo DisneySea, I will need to write about that in a later blog!

We have also had many trips to Seoul and to our favourite theme park, Lotte World, of which we are now proud annual pass holders! We also love going to the pubs in Seoul and devouring all the Western food (yes, again we don't like Korean food). Korea does have a lot of good points, mostly it's cheap transport and hotel options, which mean we go on holiday EVERY weekend so I will try and write about these things more now!! It has been hard over the last few months, and the isolation of a tiny village is hard to cope with, as is the constant lies from the powers that be. All these things have really got me down and hopefully the next six months will be more positive and the blog will be filled with flowers and fairies and things!!

For now, I will sign off with the promise of writing more very soon!!

Katherine

No comments:

Post a Comment