Sunday 6 March 2011

First Week of School

[Greg]:  Last week was the first week back at school(well for some of us - lucky Katherine didn't start until Thursday - skiving as usual)!
Everything has changed since last semester.  My wonderful co-teacher, Ms Choi, has gone and they've replaced her with Miss Kim, a girl who's thoroughly nice but doesn't speak any English which isn't great in an English teacher.  They've also exiled me from the main teachers room to a tiny room on the top floor with the other reject teachers.  On the plus side, they've taken away Bastard Middle School (the worst school in the world) and replaced it with another elementary school (easy!  And now I've got 3 of them) which I'm reliably informed by the previous native English teacher is a great school.  All in all I'm happy although I'll miss Ms Choi and her lucrative scams.

[Katherine]:  Despite Greg's assertions, I actually only had one less day in school than everyone else (they all started on Wednesday!) and I decided to spend Wednesday cleaning the filthy hole that is my new apartment (see random rubber gloves post!). I was called by my Wednesday coteacher on Tuesday night, and she said she was 'too busy' to pick me up on Wednesday, so I could have a 'secret day off', which was fine by me! I now have five schools and have to teach at one school per day. They are all middle schools which means I have to prepare for all my lessons (no easy elementary fun!) but apparently I can use the same lesson for all my classes so should be ok. Although I think I would die of boredom only teaching one lesson a week so will have to mix it up a bit! My first day was on Thursday at a very small middle school in rural Sintaein. I have to get a lift there because there are no buses! I only have 36 students in total and whilst the kids are low level they are all very nice! My coteacher was cool, but he just fell asleep at the back of class (as you do!) My Friday school was all girls which was weird for me, as I'm used to Ancheon mixed-classness. The girls were all really screechy and reminded me of myself 12 years ago~ they all screeched over 'handsome and tall' Greg and one fell off her chair when I told her I liked the K-POP band 'Beast!' My coteachers there were nice as well but did not speak much English! They also fell asleep big style! What's all that about?!! It was a positive start to the new semester (although my throat killed from speaking for hours on end) hopefully next week will be good too!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment