Thursday 31 March 2011

Are Koreans all mental, or just the ones who can speak English?


Dilemma of the day: Are Koreans all mental, or just the ones who can speak English?

As I am ahead with my planning/completely lazy and unmotivated I have been pondering this 'flaming issue'... We have been approached by quite a few Koreans during our 7 months here, in Jeollabukdo and further afield, and it is safe to say that they have all been completely barmy!! So, it set me wondering whether or not it was just those with the ability to speak English that were crazy or if everyone was - well, the  pondering did not last very long and clearly I have no intention to learn Korean so I will never know!! Personally, I think that Greg attracts the crazies - I always walk away (thanks for drilling that into me Dad!) but he always accomodates them - sigh!! Anyway, here are some examples of the craziness that humours me!

Example  1: 'The Professor' -Mc Donald's Jeonju:

This was back in the early days, when I lived in the Shack and wasn't yet consumed with hatred, but instead just walked around in a daze. My only salvation was Western food and so on our weekly trip to McDonald's I looked forward to getting some peace and just wolfing down my chicken nuggets etc. Unfortunately a random crazy woman did not seem to realise that this was our plan and harrassed us until the end of the meal. At first we thought she was special needs but her English was really good and I don't think she can have been special needs to learn a second language! She insisted on asking us dozens of questions about our lives and told us all about how she was doing a PHd and she had a boyfriend who was 30 years younger than her.. I think she was making it all up and that she was just a loon! But we will never know! We still look around in fear everytime we go into that McDonalds!

Example 2  - The Jehovahs, Evangelicals etc - various locations:

I have never stopped to talk to one of these weirdos, but unfortunately Greg does and then gets mad at me for walking off and leaving him! We have been harrassed in Lotteria and given a copy of 'The WatchTower' (yes, we are always in fastfood joints) but my favourite is the woman who got Greg at Yaksu underground station when we were waiting for a train. She had the MOST blue eyeshadow/mascara on her face that I have ever seen and just yammered on and on for ages about god etc, whilst I stood laughing at a distance! She must have been good though, because she got Greg's email address - we're still waiting for her to get in touch!

Example 3 - The woman in Itaewon

This woman is my favorite of all the crazies that we have encountered here, because she literally STALKED us all around Itaewon. She first grabbed us outside the International Food Shop and instead of walking away GREG TALKED TO HER!! She was apparently from Denmark! and came back here because her husband left her. She asked us where we lived about  5 times, when she finally got that we lived in Jeonju she was like, 'Ah, you work in a factory?' WTF  - I don't know a single Westerner here that works in a factory! Oh yes, I came to Korea to pack boxes (well it would probably beat teaching actually).. She kept asking if she could meet up with us, but we managed to non-committally shrug her off! Dilemma over, or so we thought.. We were walking down the high street giggling about how we hoped we would never see her again, and low and behold she jumped out in front of us!! This time, for some reason, she got Greg to agree to meet her in Dunkin' Donuts on the first weekend in March. Shockingly, we did not go - I hope she's still waiting!!!
Crazy!

No comments:

Post a Comment