Sunday 6 March 2011

Why do they NEVER tell us anything!?!!

{Katherine}:'m sat here in the freezing cold of an empty classroom, with no idea of what is going on and what I am doing at this school and fully aware that the likelihood is that no one will tell me! This, my friends, is a common occurrence in Korea. Unfortunately, the "Korean Way" is to make NO decisions of what will happen to themselves and other people in advance, and if they do make these decisions then they will be changed at the last minute to the inconvenience of as many people as possible! I suppose this is all well and good in a culture who's main aim seems to be to spend as much time (with as many people) as possible to achieve simple goals, therefore propping up their economy with 10 x as many staff as would be needed in any other country, however as a NET I feel completely screwed over and alone!! Today was a fine example of this. My coteacher calling me and telling me I have to be in a school in 15 minutes (a school that was about 45 minutes away) and then shouting at me when i couldnt reach the school on time and berating me for being late. This happens all the time. Koreans make mistakes and we get the blame for it!! 
Another time, my new supervisor made a mistake on my leave form, immediately blamed me and ranted at me and Greg (even though Greg has nothing to do with it, he is now the supervisor's phone buddy for some reason!)... and all you can do is smile and grit your teeth! I'm sick of smiling at them!!!



Unhappy Wales on the Korean tour
Even Lady Di didn't like it here!

Every day I wake up and wish that I was the kind of person who didn't give a shit (as clearly this is the only way to survive in this godforsaken country!) However, try as I might I just can't seem to achieve this! I am hoping that age will bring enlightenment, but for now I will continue to sit shivering in this classroom, listening to rowdy teenage boys hammering on the window - happy times!!


 I found this photo - it reflects how I feel today!!

No comments:

Post a Comment