Wednesday 22 June 2011

"Buan: the new Seoul"

[Greg]:  Today I taught a lesson on advertising.  I had my 1st and 2nd grade students create a poster advertising Buan - they had to create a logo and an English slogan extolling the virtues of this awful hole.  Some of my students have genuine artisitic talent.  And lots of them have a woefully misguided view of their hometown.

Amongst the advertising slogans that my students came up with were the naively optimistic "Buan: the new Seoul", the wildly ridiculous "Buan City of Heaven" and the plagiaristic "Buan - the Windy City", which ignores the facts that Buan isn't a city and that Chicago's already claimed that one.  Other gems included "Buan - You Raise Me Up" and my own favourite, "Cow Dung Small in Buan" which was accompanied by a logo of a cow defecating bright red faeces in a field.  Amongst the better posters was one which said "Seoul has smoke, Buan has fresh air and fish" which is rather accurate.

Meanwhile, one of my students seems to think that Spongebob lives in Buan, one chose Home Mart (a sub-standard supermarket) as the touristic highlight of the town and another chose Lotteria (sub-standard burger restaurant) to highlight the reasons for visiting Buan.

Days like this are what make teaching bearable.

1 comment:

  1. HAha! I love it!! Photo of Best of wall (or whatever its called) please!!

    ReplyDelete